10.11.11_Vegan Shepherd's Pie


For those of you that are frequent followers, you know me as “vegan Caitlin”. I was beyond excited when Jonathan and Phillip told me that they would be going vegetarian for a month, and am so happy that they’ve kept up with it pretty well since then. And after various shout-outs over the blog posts, I finally got the opportunity to contribute my own meal and post.

When the three of us went to the pride festival this summer, I picked up a PETA “Starter Kit” magazine. Once I got past the horrible pictures of mistreated animals, I found a few recipes that sounded really good. Jonathan even pointed out ones that he thought looked good (this was before the vegetarian experiment, so I was shocked that pictures of vegan meals got him interested). One of them was for Shepherd’s Pie, which I finally got around to making for all of us a couple weeks ago.

The recipe was really easy and didn’t require a lot of time or effort. I had to cook up some potatoes and then mash them with Earth Balance buttery spread, soy milk, salt and pepper.

Then I had to mix up some Lightlife veggie protein crumbles, vegan mushroom gravy (the recipe suggested Campbell’s, but I shop at Whole Foods, and they don’t sell Campbell’s, so I got something organic), mixed peas and carrots, and then a little garlic powder and cayenne. The recipe called for canned peas and carrots, but I used frozen and even without defrosting them, everything turned out fine. Once all of this was mixed up, I poured it into a casserole dish. Then I just spread the mashed potatoes on top and cooked the dish for about 40 minutes at 350.

Like I said, this was a really easy recipe, and turned out hearty and tasty. Jonathan and Phillip seemed pretty impressed with the consistency of the fake beef, and have used it again since. I served Tofutti Cutie ice cream sandwiches as dessert and even the imitation ice cream was a hit. If I can get them to enjoy nondairy cheese, I just might make vegans out of Jonathan and Phillip yet.

No comments: