Phillip and I always try to eat something a little more substantial on Fridays before going out for the night. Too many nights in college taught me light meals (ex: soup, sushi, etc) do not cut it when you plan on drinking. One of the things I like about vegetarian cooking is that typically the meals are lighter, but when the objective is a heavy meal it can be tricky. I turn to pasta a lot when I want something more substantial, and this dish, though light with all its veggies, was definitely filling. I think I even saw Phillip eat a mushroom or two...
Spring Pasta with Snap Peas
From Dinners for Winners
- 1/2 pound farfalle
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, halved
- 1 TBSP olive oi
- 1 lb mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- a few handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2) In same pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sautee the mushrooms until they become tender. 3) Add cream and wine and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the Parmesan and spinach. Stir until the spinach wilts.
4) Return the pasta and peas to pot and slowly add the pasta water until the sauce is at your desired consistency.
5) Finally toss in the basil and season with some S&P.