08.29.11_Pineapple Pizza and Homemade Cheesy Bread


After getting very little sleep on Sunday night I was not in the mood to make some elaborate meal. We had decided to do something easy and I contemplated ordering from the Homemade Pizza Company but then realized I could make the same thing for $5. Since we had loved the pineapple pizza so much when we ordered it while visiting Caitlin in Fredericksburg, we decided to make one ourselves. I decided to also make cheesy bread since I had already had a pizza post on the blog and to try something different.

We planned on going to the grocery store after work to get all the ingredients for the next couple of meals. I could not believe how empty that grocery store was in the aftermath of the hurricane. I know people were worried about losing power and such but I could not get over just how empty the store was. What was really funny was which items were completely gone. A lot of produce was down to the last few pieces and things like cheese, vegetable stock, and some of the vegetarian meat substitutes were gone. How are these things going to help you in a hurricane? I don't get it. I thought you should buy nonperishable items? Not tofu and a block of cheddar cheese?
Once we got back I started working on the cheesy bread. I just Googled cheesy bread and came across a recipe that had a ton of pictures (which I like) so decided on that one. All you had to do was melt some butter in a pan and saute a few cloves of garlic. Then you cut a baguette in half in both directions to end up with four pieces of flat bread. Rub the bread, flat-side-down, in the butter and garlic for a bit to toast it up and let it absorb the butter and garlic. In a bowl combine cheddar, Monterrey jack, and Parmesan cheese with some mayo, and green onion (I left this out for Phillip but added oregano instead). Spread the mixture on top of the bread and then stick it in the oven for 10 minutes. Even with the mayo, Phillip enjoyed it.

Homemade Cheesy Bread
As for the pizza, it was the same as always. I used one of the packages from Kroger that I hoard for situations like this, added sauce and mozzarella, and then topped with pineapple from a can. I drained the pineapple and then patted the chunks dry before putting them on the pizza so that it wouldn't get soggy from the pineapple. The pizza takes the same amount of time as the cheesy bread so 10 minutes later we had pineapple pizza and homemade cheesy bread. Delish.

No comments: