07.11.12_Veggie Tales Pad Thai


I have been making this dish since my second year of college. Now that I think about it, I think I have made this dish more than anything else actually. I call it "Pad Thai" because it was what I was attempting to make in the quickest and easiest way at the time but Thai Peanut-Buttery noodles may be more appropriate. Over the years the recipe has changed a little, and depending on my mood I included different things, but overall the basics have stayed the same. Noodles, a peanut butter-based sauce, and a protein. I got the inspiration after watching an episode of a cooking show on Food Network (I can't even remember which one now as its been too long) and then combined several different recipes, eventually ending up with my own. This dish has always been one of my "go-to" meals when I need something super quick and incredibly easy but still delicious and fresh. Because of our new-found love for seitan (we have now used it 3 times in the past 2 weeks, see CPK Copycat BBQ Chik'n Chopped Salad), we decided to use it in my Pad Thai. In my opinion seitan has an Asian undertone (at least the brand we buy) so I thought it worked incredibly well in this dish. The recipe can be made vegan using the right kind of noodles and omitting the egg.

Veggie Tales "Pad Thai"
Serves 2-3
  • 1 box of Pad Thai noodles (Fettuccine also works)
  • 1 box of seitan or any protein you want
  • 2 TBSP peanut butter
  • 2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
  • 2 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
  • 2 TBSP warm water
  • 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Optional ingredients and garnishes:
  • 1/2 cup crushed peanuts
  • 1 egg
  • handful of mung bean sprouts
  • shredded carrots
1. Combine the tamari, rice wine vinegar, water and red chili flakes in a medium size bowl. Marinate the seitan in the mixture for 30mins to an hour.
2. Bring large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles according to package. Pad Thai noodles typically take 4-5 minutes.
3. Remove seitan from sauce with a slotted spoon and cook in a small skillet over medium-high heat, until seitan is warm all the way through. Do not get rid of the sauce as you will be using it to dress the noodles later. 
4. If you are using egg, mix it in a bowl before cook it in the same pan.
5. Whisk the peanut butter into the tamari, rice wine vinegar, and water mixture until the peanut butter has broken down and formed a sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, feel free to add more tamari or water.
6. Drain the noodles and combine them with the sauce and seitan. Toss in the cilantro, saving a little bit for garnish.
7. Add any of the additional toppings and enjoy. Serve with a side of steamed edamame! 

No comments: