06.21.12_Pesto Pizza


I ended up going to two Nats games this week, one for Father's Day and one with coworkers. If you know me at all you know going to one baseball game is a lot for me so this was a kind of big deal. The game on Thursday was a night game so Phillip and I decided we wanted to eat a little something before we went to the game so we could just buy snacks and beer rather than our entire dinner there. I did a quick survey of things we had around the house and decided that a Pesto pizza would be the quickest and easiest solution. 

As I've written about in past blogs (see Pineapple Pizza) I love these pizza dough packages from Kroger where all you have to do is add 1/2 cup of water and voilà you have pizza dough. I always spruce it up a bit by adding some grated Parmesan cheese and cracked black better into the dough, and this time I added a little dried basil as well to go along with the pesto theme. Obviously you can make this pizza with a pre-made crust like Boboli, use store made dough from Whole Foods, or be really ambitious and make your own dough if you aren't in a hurry like we were. After I readied the dough, I used leftover pesto from when we made the White Bean Kale and Pesto soup for the sauce. I mixed in a little extra olive oil to make it more easily spreadable, then topped the pizza with a combination of mozzarella and shredded four cheese blend, and finally sprinkled some pine nuts and a little more dried basil to finish. I always keep my pine nuts in the freezer so as Rachael Ray taught me, the oils won't spoil. Into the oven for 10 minutes at 475º and we had a perfect pre-game pizza!

1 comment: