10.01.12_Baked Falafel Salad


I'm not sure if this is a national trend or just a DC thing but there are so many create-your-own salad concept restaurants now. One of the local places, Sweetgreen, has a salad called the Chic P that which is amazing. On Monday I was randomly craving it and deciding I would try to create my version at home. I decided to go all out and make my own pita chips to crumble over the top and a homemade lemon tahini dressing. I pulled a Sandra Lee and made the falafel semi-homemade my adding mashed chickpeas into a boxed mix before baking them off in the oven. The salad was super delicious and definitely satisfied my craving.

Baked Falafel Salad
Serves 3-4
  • Lettuce mix
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cucumber, peeled and seeded
  • 1/4 red onion, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I put half into the falafel mix and the rest onto the salads)
  • 2 packages of falafel mix (depends on the brand but two packages made 12 falafel for me)
  • pita chips (recipe below)
  • homemade lemon tahini dressing (recipe below)
1. Follow the instructions on the box for the falafel. Once you form the balls, bake them in a 350° oven for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway.
2. While the falafel cool, prep the rest of the ingredients.
3. Build the salad with all the ingredients then break the falafel into pieces on top (I used 3 falafel per salad).
4. Top with crumbled pita chips and homemade lemon tahini dressing!


Homemade Pita Chips
  • Pita Bread
  • Olive oil
  • Coarse Sea salt
1. Cut each pita into 6 equal triangles, then split the pita open so you end up with 12 separate chips from each pita.
2. Put the pita onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and flip to make sure both sides are evenly coated.
3. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and bake in a 400° oven for 8-10minutes, flipping once. Keep an eye on them and bake them until desired crunchiness!

Homemade Lemon Tahini Dressing
Yields approx. 1/2 cup
  • The juice of one lemon
  • 3 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 TBSP tahini
  • 1 TBSP water
  • 1 clove of garlic, grated
  • dash of cayenne
  • salt and pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Add more oil and/or water if you desire a thinner consistency.

No comments: