11.28.11_Curried Broccoli Couscous


Ok. So maybe I felt guilty for doing so few posts this month. We decided to try and fit in one more veggie meal this month to try to make up for our delinquency. Lucky for me, Real Simple tweeted out a recipe for Curried Broccoli Couscous that sounded super yummy yesterday so I decided to give it a try.

Now I know we talk about how easy all of these recipes are but really, this recipe was insanely easy. All you had to do was saute broccoli florets (I used fresh broccoli but I'm sure frozen would work just as well) in a sauce pan with olive oil then add curry powder to coat the broccoli. Next add in golden raisins, chickpeas, and water and bring to a boil. Finally, add the couscous, remove from heat, cover the pan and let sit for 5 minutes. That's it. I was afraid the couscous wouldn't cook completely because I had never cooked couscous with other food in the same pan but it came out great.

To add some more texture and flavor I decided to use more than just the golden raisins. We found a mixture of golden raisins and craisins at the store and thought that the craisins would add a nice color and tart flavor. I also topped the couscous with sliced almonds for a little bit of sweetness and for a nice crunch. We ended up making 1.5 times the recipe so that we would have enough leftovers for lunch the next day. So scrumptious!

No comments: