03.16.12_Sweet Potato Tahini Burgers


I came across a picture of these Sweet Potato burgers with a mound of sliced avocado on top and immediately knew that I had to try them. After reading over the recipe I realized I had a majority of the ingredients in the apartment already which is always an added bonus. The recipe said it made 7-8 patties so we invited our friend Amanda over for dinner since we had more than enough.

To make the burgers I first cooked one sweet potato. I just did it in the microwave to speed along the process. After it was fully cooked, I combined the sweet potato and 2 cans of drained and rinsed cannellini beans. I mashed them all together with a fork until most of the beans were smashed. Next, I added 2 Tbsp tahini, 2 tsp maple syrup, 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, 1/4 cup wheat flour, a dash of cayenne and then S&P. After everything was combined, they were ready to go. I actually formed the patties in advance and then put them in the fridge for a bit to let them set up while we were waiting for Amanda to arrive.

When I was ready to start cooking, I quickly dredged the patties in panko. Then, I heated a TBSP of oil in a nonstick pan and put in the first batch of the patties. I'm not sure why this did not work for me but the panko started to burn extremely quick and my patties were not browning up. I think if I had used more oil and "shallow fried" the patties it would have worked better. I decided instead of just burning the patties I would bake them. I put all the patties on a lined baking sheet, and popped them into a 350° oven. I let them bake for about 20 minutes or so to get warm all the way through. I then took the patties out, gave them a quick spray with cooking spray and turned on the broiler to get them to brown up a bit. 

I actually liked baking the patties. It was a lot easier than trying to flip mushy patties and the outside got nice and crunchy. I served the burgers with sliced avocado and drizzled nice EVOO on top before cracking fresh black pepper on the burgers. Amanda and I both agreed that they tasted better with the addition of mustard. I think from now on whenever I am making a "burger" that is made up of some mushed up bean or pea or whatever, I will be baking them. Way less stressful! 

No comments: